M'judra (served with steamed broccoli drizzled in BBQ sauce because it tastes good that way)
- Lentils, dry, 245 gram(s)
- Brown Rice, uncooked, 376 gram(s)
- Onions, raw, 2 large
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
- Salt, 1 tbsp
- Water, about 6 cups more as needed
- Plain Non-fat Yogurt (optional)
- Boil lentils in the water until nearly tender, about 25 minutes.
- While lentils are boiling, slice onions finely into half circles and cook over low heat in olive oil until caramelized.
- When onions are finished cooking, set them aside on a paper towel to absorb excess fluids.
- Add rice to the pot of lentils after they are tender and add a few cups of water if necessary, return to a simmer.
- Add salt and simmer slowly until the rice is tender and all the fluid is absorbed – approx 20 minutes.
- Continue adding water as necessary until rice is tender.
- Serve hot or cold, garnished with the crisp brown onion slices and few spoonfuls plain yogurt (not shown in picture).
Calories (w/o yogurt) ~ 322, Carbs ~ 57 g, Fat ~ 5 g, Protein ~ 13 g
This one seemed to be a big hit with Chris. He appreciated the price point, about $2 for 8-servings and he is a big fan of rice in any form. I liked it a lot as well. I was pretty excited to have leftovers for lunch for a few days!